Granny always made fruit salad for Christmas dinner. She calls her fruit salad Heavenly Hash. As I got older I noticed other folks called their fruit salad Ambrosia. I also noticed the ingredients in people's fruit salad varies greatly depending on who's making it.
My favorite Ambrosia Salad recipe came from Miss Cindy. It takes:
- 2 large cans of pineapple chunks
- 1 small can of Mandarin oranges
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1/4 of a large bag of shredded coconut
- 1/3 of a bag of mini marshmallows
- a handful of nuts-I like pecans the best
- optional-a few spoonfuls or small jar of maraschino cherries (I never add them)
Drain all the fruit-then mix with the rest of the ingredients. It's better after sitting in the frig for a while-but I can never wait that long to try it.
It's really such a simple recipe that I can't for the life of me figure out why I only make it at Christmas-but I do.