My post earlier this week about smoke following beauty reminded me of a few other old sayings about fire-things like:
- If you play in the fire you'll pee the bed tonight. (Years ago Pap was burning off a small garden area. One of the littlest cousins kept playing in the fire-Pap told him "If you don't quit playing in that fire you'll wet the bed tonight." Never missing a beat the little boy said "I'll be swimming tonight!" We all got a big laugh out of that.)
- Fight fire with fire. (I've heard this one my whole life-and I might have even said it once or twice-just maybe.)
- I've got too many irons in the fire. (I've said this one in the last few weeks.)
- Don't add fuel to the fire.
- Don't burn your bridges.
- Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
- Where there's smoke there's fire.
- Money burns a hole right through his pocket: (Yep that's The Deer Hunter.)
- If you play with fire you're going to get burnt: (I think this one is perfect common sense.)
- Burning your candle at both ends.
- Burning the midnight oil.
- That burns me up! (Makes me mad-well mad as fire!)
- I'm all fired up. (If you say this one you could be mad or just really excited about something.)
- I'll slap the fire right out of you.
- Liar liar pants on fire.
- Light a fire under someone. (This one is usually said like "She lit a fire under him and he finally got the work done.")
If you think of any other fire/burn sayings-hope you'll leave me a comment.